Research and Teaching Assistant Position in Urban Livability, Vietnamese-German University
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) invites applications for the position of a:
Research & Teaching Assistant in Urban Livability
Starting from November 2016. The position is fixed-term, initially for two years. In case of outstanding performance the position can be extended by another two years subsequently. The successful applicant will be associated with the Master of Science program “Sustainable Urban Development” (SUD), a collaborative project between the VGU (www.vgu.edu.vn) and the Technische Universität Darmstadt (TUD, www.tu-darmstadt.de), Germany. The successful applicant is expected to support the Academic Coordinator of SUD Master program in his teaching and research activities. Outstanding candidates will have the possibility to write a doctoral thesis (PhD) under the supervision from TU Darmstadt and VGU.
The employee will be part of a young, professional, and ambitious team from VGU and TUD. The position is located at the Vietnamese-German University in Vietnam.
• Background education in Architecture, Urban Design or Urban Development
• Master degree in Urban Development and Planning, Urban Design or related fields with outstanding grades
• Preferably, PhD in Urban Development and Planning, Urban Design or equivalent
• Fluent English language proficiency
• Strong skills in CAD, GIS, Architecture, Urban Design and Planning
• Preferably first work experience in professional environment
• Preferably first experience in research and teaching, having research experience on livability-related issues would be an advantage
• Ability to work independently
1- Support teaching activities (approx. 40%)
• Provide assistance to the responsible lecturer in teaching activities. The expected modules that successful candidate will assist are Methodology of Empirical Analysis, Basics of GIS and CAD, Urban Economics and Multidisciplinary Project
• Supervise students on their exercises, studies projects, and final theses.
• Ensure the smooth running of equipment necessary to achieve the aims of the class (e.g. computers, software packages, electronic journals, and library).
• Provide and/or update teaching materials such as case description, mini projects, and exercises in accordance with the responsible lecturer (and other lecturers when necessary).
• Contribute to the development of the course program in consultation with the study program coordinator and the partner university.
2- Research activities and projects (approx. 40%):
• Work on assigned research project(s) in accordance with the supervisor. The main focus during the first working year of successful applicant will be the project on urban livability in Binh Duong province
• Assist and contribute to the overall research activities of the research team of his/her supervisor
• Produce and manage databases and reference materials in the assigned research and teaching areas.
• Attend relevant research seminars and conferences.
• Present research progresses/results in internal VGU seminars and on scientific conferences
• Contribute to national and international conference papers as well as publishing at peer review academic international journals as assigned by the research supervisor.
3- Support in administrative affairs of the department (approx. 20%):
• Prepare and manage correspondences, documents, and reports.
• Implement and maintain office and filing systems.
• Take and distribute minutes of meetings.
• Organize and coordinate internal and external events (meetings, conferences, research seminars, mini courses, travel arrangements).
• Support flying faculty members in organizing the trip and course implementation.
• Update website, coordinate students and alumni association
• Carry out other tasks as assigned by the program coordinator
For further information, please visit the Vietnamese-German University online at: www.vgu.edu.vn or contact the Academic Coordinator of the SUD program: Dr. Pham Thai Son (email@example.com).
Graduate students with excellent academic records and teaching experience are cordially invited to send their applications in English, together with a completed CV, a copy of all relevant academic degrees, proofs of English language proficiency, one page motivation statement, an abstract of the Master thesis (200 words) and if available academic reference letters no later than December 9, 2016 by email to VGU’s Human Resource department: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the reference number of this position when applying: 2016-AA-HP-49