§1 Scope and Field of Application
The purpose of the Women Scholarships is to support and encourage women to study in the fields of engineering and to increase the percentage of female students to at least 30% of the student population enrolled in selected engineering programs.
The scholarships will be awarded to female students of the three following Master's degree programs:
- Computational Engineering (CompEng)
- Mechatronics and Sensor Systems Technology (MSST)
Female students who receive a Women Scholarship are not entitled to receive a VGU Merit Scholarship or an Opportunity Scholarship in the same academic year.
In exceptional cases the Presidential Board of VGU can decide that other VGU scholarship types can be combined with VGU Women Scholarships, e.g. if the nature of the other scholarship does not focus on coverage of tuition fees but grants other benefits such as employment opportunities or exchange opportunities with international universities (e.g. scholarships from DAAD or industry partners).
Female students who are admitted to the programs mentioned in §1 are eligible for the scholarships, which consist of the following two types:
(1) Full scholarships, which are awarded to 10% of enrolled students of one study program per one intake, cover the tuition fee of the scholarship year and offer the scholarship receiver approx. 1,000 USD living allowance per year (dependent on the actual exchange rates).
(2) Tuition fee exemption scholarships, which are awarded to 20% of enrolled students of one study program per one intake, fully cover the tuition fee for the scholarship receiver in the scholarship year.
Female students who apply for the Women Scholarships have to submit a Financial Aid Form (FAF) to the Scholarship Office of the VGU Department of Academic Affairs.
§3 Selection Criteria
The number of scholarships for female Master's students is limited to 30% of the admitted students per intake for one study program after the last admission round, but the absolute number of Woman Scholarships cannot exceed 6 per program (02 full scholarships and 04 tuition fee exemption scholarships as listed in §5). When there are more than two (02) eligible applicants per study program, a competitive selection procedure will be applied to select the right candidates and to decide the appropriate scholarship levels for them.
§4 Application Deadline & Duration of Scholarship
The application deadline is the last working day of August for the winter semester and the last working day of February for the summer semester of the referring academic year.
The scholarship will be given for the semester of application and the subsequent ones. The scholarship will be valid for the whole regular period of study as long as the female student is enrolled, is not in the period of deferment/leave of absence, and can maintain a GPA of at least 3.3 in accordance with the German grading system at the end of each semester as well as obtain IELTS of at least 6.0 (or equivalent). The deadline for submission of IELTS certificate is no later than the last day of the third semester (winter semester of the second academic year).
§5 Type of Financial Assistance
There are two types of financial assistance for female students
(1) Two full scholarships each of which fully covers the tuition fee and offers the scholarship receiver a living allowance of approx. 1.000 USD per year (dependent on the actual exchange rates).
(2) Four tuition fee exemption scholarships, each of which fully covers the tuition fee for the scholarship receiver.