The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a young autonomous, research oriented, Vietnamese state university substantially financed by Germany and Vietnam. The campus of this new model university is in Binh Duong New City and by 2018 it will move to a new campus, financed by the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and a World Bank loan, in Binh Duong Province. We are striving for excellence in the fields of research and development, teaching and lifelong learning, university governance, and are heading to become a world-class institution in the South- East Asian market within the next two decades. Furthermore, VGU is designated to provide capacity building measures for the entire higher education sector in Vietnam.
To support the young and growing university administration we are looking to fill the following full-time position with a qualified and experienced candidate as soon as possible to work at the various locations of VGU in Vietnam.
Interpreter cum Translator English-Vietnamese
The main responsibility is to translate legal and technical documents, and interpret during meetings. This will include, but is not limited to:
* Accurately translate technical (e.g. project, procurement, and construction plans), and legal documents (e.g. circulars from Vietnamese Ministries) from Vietnamese into English and vice versa
* Produce executive summaries of Vietnamese documents in English
* Creatively draft new documents upon request
* Support colleagues in translating and interpreting
* Compose official outgoing letters, reports, and minutes
* Interpret during meetings, workshops and field visits as required (will sometimes be required to work outside normal working hours)
* Take minutes for transcription
* Perform external relations with partners and other companies
Qualifications & Experience
* At least Bachelor University degree with English major
* Master Degree and/or a Degree received from a reputable University / Institute overseas will be seen as an asset
* English certificate of IELTS 7.0 or equivalent
* Fluent in English and Vietnamese, both verbal & writing
* Have at least 2 years of professional experience as interpreter and translator.
* Computer literate and experience, especially in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
* Be able to adapt to the pressure working environment; Self-management according to the varying workload; good interpersonal skills and ability to work with others under pressure; being active and responsible.
* Being flexible to work at the campuses of VGU in HCMC and Binh Duong New City, and at meetings in Vietnam and abroad.
* Being a dedicated team-worker and willing to work outside regular working hours
* Working experience in international companies or representative offices is an asset.
* Knowledge of German or another third language is an asset
What we offer
The successful applicant will work on a full-time position. This post may require the employee to occasionally travel to other locations in Vietnam. The qualification orientated, attractive salary is above sector-average.
VGU is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the principle of fairness on all issues including gender, family or special needs. Additionally VGU supports lifelong learning of its employees by means of personnel development and training.
A daily shuttle bus will be offered for VGU staff between HCMC and Binh Duong campus.
Please submit a PDF- or Word DOC-file attachment (max. size: 5 MB) with the following documents as part of your application by e-mail to job(at)vgu.edu.vn.
1. Cover letter expressing your interest and ability to fill the position.
2. Curriculum Vitae with photo.
3. Scans of certificates of attained university degrees, additional training and qualifications.
4. Contact details of references or references illustrating your professional career.
Please include the reference number of this position when applying: 2017-VMU-HP-02.