The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a young autonomous, research oriented, Vietnamese state university substantially financed by Germany and Vietnam. The campus of this new model university is in Binh Duong New City and by 2018 it will move to a new campus, financed by the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and a World Bank loan, in Binh Duong Province. We are striving for excellence in the fields of research and development, teaching and lifelong learning, university governance, and are heading to become a world-class institution in the South- East Asian market within the next two decades.
Furthermore, VGU is designated to provide capacity building measures for the entire higher education sector in Vietnam.
To support the young and growing university administration we are looking to fill the following full-time position with a qualified and experienced candidate as soon as possible to work at the various locations of VGU in Vietnam.
Research and Teaching Assistant (RTA) for EEIT in Telecommunication
Vietnamese-German University (VGU) invites applications for the position of Research and Teaching Assistant for Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (EEIT).
The successful applicant will be associated with the EEIT Bachelor Program (http://www.vgu.edu.vn/studies/bachelor/eeit/), a collaborative project between VGU and Frankfurt University of Applied Science (https://www.frankfurt-university.de/), Germany. The successful applicant is expected to support the faculty members in research and teaching in the EEIT Program.
- MSc. degree in Electrical Engineering or computer science in a well-known university
- Excellent mathematical background, knowledge in optimization is an advantage
- Knowledge and/or experience with telecommunications (TCP/IP, wireless communication)
- Very good programming skills in C/C++, Java or Python
- Very good verbal and written communication in English
- Previous experience in research and development
- Publications in international conferences and journals is a plus.
- High motivation
- Open, willing to collaborate
- Innovative and dynamic
- Capacity to work under pressure to tight deadlines
The job tasks and responsibilities are included in to 3 main fields as follows, but are not limited to:
Support in teaching activities (approx. 40%):
- Providing assistance to lecturer in teaching courses related to communications such as Fundamental of Telecommunications, Communication Engineering, Digital Routing.
- Supervising students on their studies projects and final theses.
- Ensuring the smooth running of equipment necessary to achieve the aims of the class (e.g. computers, software packages, electronic journals, and library).
- Providing and/ or updating of teaching materials in accordance with the responsible lecturer and program coordinator.
- Assisting students (during office hours) to understand the courses assigned by the coordinator.
- Assisting lecturers to grade homework, case studies, mid-term exams, final exams of the courses assigned by the coordinator.
- Assisting lecturers to teach exercises, experimental labs of the courses assigned by the coordinator.
- Teaching output performance (based on a 100% full-time contract): Provision of teaching activities through seminars, tutoring, and mini courses by 120 periods per year.
Research activities and projects (approx. 40%):
- Carrying out research on networking such as wireless sensor networks, Software Defined Networks (SDN), 5G mobile networks.
- Attending research seminars and conferences.
- Presenting research ideas and results in internal VGU seminars (at least once a semester) and on scientific conferences (once a year after the first year).
- Research output performance (based on a 100% full-time contract)o Contributing to at least one international and one national conference per year after the first year as assigned by the research supervisor.
Publishing at least one research article in scientific journals as assigned by the research supervisor, after the first year.
Support in administrative affairs of the department (approx. 20%):
- Preparing and managing correspondence, documents and reports
- Implementing and maintaining office and filing systems
- Taking, typing and distributing minutes of meetings
- Organizing and coordinating internal and external events (meetings, conferences, research seminars, mini courses, travel arrangements)
- Supporting the flying faculty in terms of organization of the stay and implementation of the courses.
Interested candidates should submit their application (in English) that includes the following in a single PDF to VGU’s Human Resource Department at job(at)vgu.edu.vn or please contact Dr Tran Phuong Nga at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A motivation statement (one page only);
• A complete CV;
• Copy of all academic degrees;
• Abstract of the Master thesis or, if applicable, PhD thesis (200 words);
• Proofs of English language proficiency and quantitative skills (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL or similar tests);
• And, if available, academic references.
Please include the reference number of this position when applying: 2016-AA-HP-41.