The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a young autonomous, research oriented, Vietnamese state university substantially financed by Germany and Vietnam. The campus of this new model university is in Binh Duong New City and by 2018 it will move to a new campus, financed by the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and a World Bank loan, in Binh Duong Province. We are striving for excellence in the fields of research and development, teaching and lifelong learning, university governance, and are heading to become a world-class institution in the South- East Asian market within the next two decades. Furthermore, VGU is designated to provide capacity building measures for the entire higher education sector in Vietnam.
To support the young and growing university administration we are looking to fill the following full-time position with a qualified and experienced candidate as soon as possible to work at the various locations of VGU in Vietnam.
Research and Teaching Assistant for EEIT in Signal and Image Processing
Vietnamese-German University (VGU) invites applications for the position of Research and Teaching Assistant for Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (EEIT).
The successful applicant will be associated with the EEIT Bachelor Program (http://www.vgu.edu.vn/studies/bachelor/eeit/), a collaborative project between VGU and Frankfurt University of Applied Science (https://www.frankfurt-university.de/), Germany. The successful applicant is expected to support the faculty members in research and teaching in the EEIT Program.
• M.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or Computer Science
• Strong mathematical background
• Solid experience in digital signal and image processing, strong interest in developing and analyzing algorithms
• Strong interest in pursuing PhD graduate study in the field of biomedical signal/image processing in USA or Germany
• Experience with medical imaging, especially MRI and EEG is a plus
• GPU parallel programming is an advantage
• Proficient programming skills in C/C++, MATLAB
• Programming skills in Python is a plus
• Good English communication and scientific writing skills, high motivation
• Previous experience in research and development
• High motivation
• Open, willing to collaborate
• Innovative and dynamic
• Capacity to work under pressure to close deadlines
• Publications in international conferences and journals is a plus
The job tasks and responsibilities are included in to 3 main fields as follows, but are not limited to:
1. Support in teaching activities (approx. 40%):
• Supporting in teaching activities: Providing assistance to the lecturer in
- conducting tutorial sessions
- holding office hours for the courses
- digital signal processing
- digital image processing
- signals & systems
• Assisting lecturers to grade homework, case studies, mid-term exams of the courses.
• Ensuring the smooth running of the equipment necessary to achieve the aims of the class (e.g. projector, computers, software packages, electronic journals, EEG equipment used for demonstrations in class)
• Supporting in supervising student bachelor and master theses on the topics related to digital signal and image processing
2. Research activities and projects (approx. 40%):
• Conducting research activities: Developing image processing algorithms in the field of biomedical image processing, with the focus to magnetic resonance imaging, electroencephalography (EEG) and electrocardiography (ECG) systems
• Attending research seminars and conferences.
• Presenting research ideas and results in the internal VGU seminars (at least once per semester) and at the scientific conferences (once a year after the first year).
• Coordinating and supporting the open house demonstrations for the visits of (i) high-school pupils and their parents; (ii) various companies; (iii) various academic delegations
3. Support in administrative affairs of the department (approx. 20%):
• Supporting in administrative affairs of the study program (approx. 20%): Preparing and managing correspondence, documents and reports
• Implementing and maintaining office and filing systems
• Taking, typing and distributing minutes of the meetings
• Organizing and coordinating internal and external events (meetings, conferences, research seminars, mini courses, travel arrangements)
• Supporting the flying faculty in terms of organization of the stay and implementation of the courses.
Interested candidates should submit their application (in English) that includes the following in a single PDF to VGU’s Human Resource Department at job(at)vgu.edu.vn or please contact Dr Nguyen Minh Hien at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A motivation statement (one page only);
• A complete CV;
• Copy of all academic degrees;
• Abstract of the Master thesis or, if applicable, PhD thesis (200 words);
• Proofs of English language proficiency and quantitative skills (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL or similar tests);
• And, if available, academic references.
Please include the reference number of this position when applying: 2017-AA-HP-05.