The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a young autonomous, research oriented, Vietnamese state university substantially financed by Germany and Vietnam. The campus of this new model university is in Binh Duong New City and by 2018 it will move to a new campus, financed by the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and a World Bank loan, in Binh Duong Province. We are striving for excellence in the fields of research and development, teaching and lifelong learning, university governance, and are heading to become a world-class institution in the South- East Asian market within the next two decades. Furthermore, VGU is designated to provide capacity building measures for the entire higher education sector in Vietnam.
To support the young and growing university administration we are looking to fill the following full-time position with a qualified and experienced candidate as soon as possible to work at the various locations of VGU in Vietnam.
Research and Teaching Assistant in Computer Science
This is a position for someone with a good academic base in mathematics and experience in computer network, interested to do research in computer network security, with possibility of doing a PhD in this field. This position also involves to be a teaching assistant for undergraduate courses in theoretical computer science.
The responsibilities of the position will include, but are not limited to:
- Support to teaching activities (40%): supporting lectures for courses like discrete mathematics, algorithms and data structures and theoretical computer science by preparing and giving exercises and serving as first contact for students' questions for the named courses.
- Support to research activities (40%): supporting research in IT security. We are specially interested in someone that will work on internet security and more broadly on network security, addressing issues such as intrusion detection in wired and wireless networks. Initially it will involve coding and testing simulations, but gradually it is expected that the candidate will make contributions to research development in this field as well. The candidate may also participate in the organization of conferences in the field of IT security, write technical reports and first draft for journal papers, attend conferences in this field here in Vietnam or abroad. This work can eventually lead to PhD studies.
- Support for administration (20%): supporting the coordination and management of the Bachelor program in Computer Science. This will involve developing a web site for CS, assisting in maintaining and installing labs equipments, writing administrative proposals or forms, attending administrative meetings on behalf of the CS program coordinator, cooperating with other teaching assistants and lab engineers in supporting administrative processes for the program.
- Master degree in computer science
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English
- Good mathematical background, the level needed for theoretical computer science courses, for mathematical modeling of solutions in network security, to read papers in this field and to describe the analytical component of our research in documents submitted for publication
- Knowledge and/or experience with computer networks
- Very good programming skills in Java or C++
Please submit a PDF- or Word DOC-file attachment (max. size: 5 MB) with the following documents as part of your application by e-mail to job(at)vgu.edu.vn:
- Cover letter expressing your interest and ability to fill the position.
- Curriculum Vitae with photo.
- Scans of certificates of attained university degrees, additional training and qualifications.
- Contact details of references or references illustrating your professional career.
Please include the reference number of this position when applying: 2016-AA-HP-44.